Frequently Asked Questions

Laws and Rules Governing Dietetic Practice in North Dakota

Q. Can a health coach provide nutrition information?

A.  A health coach is an individual trained to work with individuals to motivate them to make healthy life style changes. Health coaches can give basic nutrition information on choosing healthy foods. Health coaches are not allowed to provide medical nutrition therapy unless licensed as a licensed registered dietitian or nutritionist under the North Dakota Statute Chapter 43-44.

Q. Do I need to be licensed in North Dakota if I am providing nutrition counseling from another state to North Dakota residents?

Q. Is there a test for licensed nutritionist?

A.  Yes. As of August 1, 2021, you must pass an exam through one of the board-approved pathways, such as the Board of Clinical Nutrition Specialists or the American Clinical Board of Nutrition. Requirements for licensure as a nutritionist are listed in the state statute.

Q. How do I become a licensed registered dietitian?

A.  You must have completed all the requirements for a registered dietitian with the Commission on Dietetic Registration and then make application to North Dakota Board of Dietetic Practice.

Q. How many continuing education hours must I have each year?

A.  Both the licensed registered dietitian and the licensed nutritionist must show proof of 75 hours of continuing education in a five-year recertification cycle.

Q. How do I initiate a complaint against a licensed registered dietitian or licensed nutritionist?

A.  See the complaint procedure on the website.

Q. How do I get my name changed on my license after I marry?

A.  If you are a registered dietitian through the Commission on Dietetic Registration, you need to update your name status with the CDR.  Once your name has been changed with CDR, you can login to our website to change your name and upload your documentation.  If you are a licensed nutritionist, please login to our website and upload your documents.

Q. I have a change of address, what do I do?

A.  Please login to our website to change your address.

Q. How often does the Board meet?

A.  At least once a year in September. Additional meetings may be called by the Board as needed. All meetings are posted to the North Dakota Secretary of State website. All meetings are open to the public.

Q. What is the order for placement of credentials behind a dietitian's name?

A.  The Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) has issued guidelines for professional credential placement. The recommended order of listed credentials for Registered Dietitians is: Graduate degree, RDN (or RD), specialty certifications with the CDR (e.g. CSG, CSO, CSP, CSSD, CSR), licensure designation, and other certifications (e.g. CDE, CNS, etc.). The appropriate licensure credential in North Dakota is LRD.

Q. What title should be used when granted a provisional license to practice dietetics in ND?

A.  Since the North Dakota credential for a licensed dietitian is “licensed registered dietitian (LRD)”, these dietitians may not use this credential until after they have passed the RD exam.  The Commission on Dietetic Registration recommends that this category of dietitian refer to themselves as “provisionally licensed dietitian” or “registration eligible dietitian”.  CDR made it clear that these titles should not be abbreviated in any way and are only acceptable when written out in full.

Q. Are there any restrictions on practice with a provisional license?

A provisionally licensed dietitian may practice only under the supervision of a licensed registered dietitian or a licensed nutritionist who meets requirements under subsection 1 of section 43-44-07. A provisional license expires automatically upon receiving notice of failure of the licensure examination but may be renewed a maximum of one time until the date of the next examination, at which time the provisional license automatically expires and must be surrendered to the board.

Q. Why do I need to list my social security number and date of birth on my licensure application?

A. The NDBODP is required to request this information for two reasons.  The first reason is that the ND Child Support Division is authorized to obtain access to our licensee information to identify licensees who are delinquent obligors and therefore would be subject to professional occupational license suspension by a court or by Child Support.  Second, if there is disciplinary action taken against a licensee we are mandated by Federal law to report the information to the National Practitioner Data Bank.  The licensee’s social security number and date of birth is required information that is reported in such instances.

Q. How do I obtain verification of my licensure for another state?

A.  Check with the state board that is needing verification of your licensure to inquire whether the board has a verification form to have NDBODP complete or if the board requires a verification letter be sent to them.  Once you have this information you can email to either complete the verification form or to provide a verification letter.  The NDBODP doesn’t charge a fee for providing verification.

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.